Monday 28 November 2011

Forceable Downsizing

Recently, due to a lack of good work and mounting bills, I am faced with a limited set of options. Sell off enough of my things to cover the bills till the first of the year or sell off enough things to fit into living at my girlfriends small house.  My family is as straped for cash as everyone else.

Either option leaves me evaluating and liquidating my former life. Little did I know that getting my Ex's things out was really the water breaking on the birth of a new life. It is not just my former married life that has to go but also much of the things accumulated in the rebuilding right after. I am finding that so much of that is either remnants of the past or just ..... unnecessary.

I am also finding out that the things we ascribe "value" to have only the market value in times like these. The 32" TV you bought for $700 is eclipsed by the newer versions that sell for a quarter the cost new. The industrial sewing machin that you bough for $700 , think is worth $500 is really floating the $350 range due to it's "unique brand" and specialty use. Look around you. Your precious STUFF is just that. Stuff, junk , Shit ...... like George Carlin said .
 So we ascribe value to our stuff that in the end is based on sentimental attachment,  fear of loss, or  what we did to get that thing. The hours we spend at work to earn the money we spend to buy the stuff initially put a sacrificial value on our stuff. In other words we sacrificed time and effort to get that flat screen TV, Xbox, House , or Car. We look at value based on perceived value and not intrinsic value.

Intrinsic value, at least for this point, is value based on the utility of the item. All cars get you from point A to point B. There is a utility value in that. A house gives you shelter from the elements and safety.  The basic value of an item is in it's use.  The differences in market value come from perceived values including the ones you place on what you own.

So Why am I upset that I am not getting the amount of $$ for my things that I want? Why is it hurting to let go of the things that I rarely see and never use. What is it that is making me so reluctant to take the rational option of downsizing and moving into my girlfriends place?

Time To Eat the Lama

Since the divorce I have sought to keep the peace taking things that others have though silly and even self destructive to take on. i have moved all of my old house hold into my new apartment after my ex left the country. I have held onto all of her things till the divorce settled them. I have diligently tried to "do the right thing" by my girls and my myself. I have held on to too many things from my past being unable to let them go.
In Recovery there is a concept of god "doing for us what we can not do for ourself". This is a prime example.  I have not been able to clear out all the things from my past. I have been suffering depression and in a state of "survival mode" for far too long. So .... god being god  he dose for me what I been unable to do for myself .... strips away the useless shit to get to a workable place to get on with healing.
I hate having to sell off my stuff. It hurts and makes me feel less than successful. It is however a necessary  pill to swallow.

1 comment:

  1. Well said and I understand exactly what you mean from the start to the end of your post.

    ReplyDelete